THE CORONATION PLAN FOR ROSH
AUTHOR’S NOTE: I am well aware when it comes to the candidacy for Magog as set out by Ezekiel 38-39, Russia, perhaps, is NOT likely to be one. (In fact, the studies point it to modern day Turkey) However, for it is vital to remain open to all possibilities, I still write the below.
With Russia in Syria, Israel’s stance in actively preventing some of Russia’s allies or partners to build arms against Israel may not so be successful. And as examined on the “Revealed Glimpses of Leviathan, Israel’s Gas Exports and the Basis for War of Gog and Magog“, there is an entangled outlook and Russia along with other energy players may be concerned.
Let us, now, examine how Russia, perhaps, could play a role in Ezekiel 38-39.
FACTS AND DEVELOPMENTS
0) Putin is avidly seeking to reassert Russian dominance in global stage and restore itself to former Soviet glory. Putin noted this in 2005, saying the break-up of the Soviet Union was “the greatest geopolitical catastrophe” of the 20th century.
1) This is much attributed to the fact that Putin’s political DNA, hence his view of the world, is that of KGB. Further, as Roxburgh notes, being surrounded by “myopic and conspiratorial advisers”, Putin does not understand the west, just as the west fails to understand Kremlin.
In fact, as the author further points out, NATO’s expansion to Russian fronts, hence encircling Russia, enkindled Russia to become territorial and menacing as she is today.
2) One of the many reasons for annexing Crimea was to ‘sound out’ international community. To see how the west, in particular, would react to what would be viewed as a “Russian aggression” was important should Russia wants to viably consider options of engaging in other fronts for their interests in the future. The reactions from the international community, of course, were not stringent enough to halt the Russian march.
2.5) Hence, troubled Middle East nations saw Russia as their new “messiah” – Seeing no limit can be imposed to the Russian manoeuver, troubled nations of the Middle East started to lean towards Moscow.
We are already seeing Iraq and although not a Middle Eastern nation, Afghanistan, considering the similar option as Syria – inviting Russian forces to restore orders in their homelands.
3) Carrot and Stick approach for Turkey – Carrot is the Turkish Stream gas pipe project that emerged in place of South Stream project. An example of a stick could be seen from the Russian violation of Turkish airspace. The message Moscow is sending to Ankara and others in the region (in case they seek NATO) is clear: “Be obedient and you will be awarded. If not, we’ll teach you a lesson”.
4) Russian military presence in Syria means Israel in dilemma. –
Nadav Pollak brilliantly analysed the likely prospect of having Russia
in Syria for Israel. Read the report here.
In a nutshell the report finds, with Russia in Syria, Israel’s tremendous efforts so far to prevent Syria and Iran delivering advanced weaponry to Hezbollah will now all crumble.
In the past, Russia partly discarded Israel’s request to halt arms sales to Assad regime for it bore high risks of being ended up in Hezbollah’s hands, and it really did.
Further, the fact that Iran is now backing Syria and Hezbollah, especially in the Golan, instigates probable assaults towards Israel – Another Israeli concern of which was again dismissed by Putin.
So Russia will be nurturing and protecting Syria, Iran, and Hezbollah. If Israel were to take preventive measures against Hezbollah and Iran at sensing danger, Russia will view such attempts as a direct challenge against her and will hence retaliate.
As Pollak notes, Russia’s increasing presence in Syria “actively shuts” Israel down.
5) Hence, if Hezbollah, trusting Russia will take care of its back, launches attack first against Israel, then the risks will escalate.
5.5) Russia has already warned Israeli jet over Lebanon to ‘back off or else’.
And recently, Israeli jets carried out airstrikes against targets nearby Damascus Airport.
6) Russia is vindictive – impression that Israel had helped Georgia to equip herself with arms, when the most of them actually came from the States, was indeed met with fury from the Kremlin during and after the Russo-Georgian War of 2008.
Moscow, perhaps, is seeking revenge.
Now, out of many other reasons for Russian intervention in Syria, the below three stand out:
7) To protect port in Tartus in Syria – Russians have been yearning for a port that never freezes in winter for centuries. Initially set up during the Cold War by the Soviets, Tartus port serves as a pivot for Russian naval presence in the Mediterranean. Together with its airbase in Latakia, they make up “strongest military force in the Eastern Mediterranean.”
8) To gain control over Israeli gas fields –
Back in 2011, I wrote a post on why Israeli gas find of Leviathan field is indeed a Bible prophecy of the end time noted in the Book of Job and why the creature named Leviathan, biblically, might tempt and arouse a conflict to those around it. Entangled political outlook concerning the Leviathan in Levant basin and afar further hinted why it will be one of the main triggers for War of Gog and Magog as set out by Ezekiel 38 and 39, and why, hence, Russia, with her naval presence in Tartus, has the prominent candidate for Rosh or Gog. And today, we do see that the development so far is indeed moving into that direction, not turning back.
Read more: Revealed Glimpses of Leviathan, Israel’s Gas Exports and the Basis for War of Gog and Magog
Israel, of course, recently found an oil field in the Golan too. (Leviathan field is also thought to hold oil underneath the gas reserve.)
9) Russia’s productions in both oil and gas are falling when Russia’s economy depends on export of these resources.
Further, Russia seeks to revert to her “glorious” past by:
10) Intervening in the Middle East – Moscow sees the Middle East “as a means of strengthening its own global position”.
During the Cold War, the Soviet established links with Iraq, Syria, Libya and PLO. The legacy continues till this date with “influence seeking, weapons sales and nuclear-technology transfers”. As Assad noted in 2010, Northern Axis – referring to Iran, Syria, Turkey, Hamas and Hezbollah and possibly Iraq – with aim to stand against the U.S. and Israel, has emerged and Moscow seems to support this axis.
11) Using energy resources to restore its lost global power – Russia’s state-owned energy company “Gazprom has always served as an instrument for furthering Russia’s political interests. This meshes with Putin’s worldview, which he expressed in his thesis work in 1997. He stressed the importance of using energy resources as a tool for improving Russia’s position in the world and for restoring its global power, which it had lost.”
This report was back in 2012.
Debka further reports that just before the Russian military intervention in Syria, Putin, without informing such military action will take place soon, offered to Israel for Russia to a) safeguard the Israeli gas fields, b) invest in developing Leviathan and c) building a pipeline to Turkey, all of which have been turned down by Israel. The article further predicted, with Russian military presence nearby, it will be tough for Israel to attract investors for the gas fields.
WILL RUSSIA INVADE EGYPT, POSSIBLY, AS WELL?
Egypt, like with Israeli find of Leviathan, recently discovered a supergiant natural gas field called Zohr with 30 trillion cubic feet of gas – making it the largest gas field in the Mediterranean – even surpassing the size of Leviathan.
And Israel, whose Leviathan field has been going through a “regulatory uncertainty”, which, in turn, impeded its development as well as its export prospects, is now concerned at the news.
This concern, of course, is neglecting Russia from the picture.
Even if Israel had settled regulatory and other issues in timely manner, Russia was destined to intervene in Syria. (Whether the Egyptian gas find hints Russia to be the ‘king of the north’ as noted in Daniel 11, hence invading Egypt, requires a further study.)
TO QUALIFY FOR GOG – NESI ROSH
Now, a famous 18th century Rabbi from Lithuania, Rabbi Vilna Gaon who was known for his non-hasidic movement and Messianic process reported to have, just before his death, said (of which was revealed by his great grandson, Rabbi Shturnbuch): “When you hear that the Russians have captured the city of Crimea, you should know that the times of the Messiah have started, that his steps are being heard. And when you hear that the Russians have reached the city of Constantinople (today’s Istanbul), you should put on your Shabbat clothes and don’t take them off, because it means that the Messiah is about to come any minute.”
Of course, just because Russians have reached Istanbul next doesn’t mean the Christ will return any minute from there on, for there still will remain few other events that need to unfold biblically before He finally shall. (And who knows the Messiah the Rabbi referred to is, in fact, an Antichrist by mistake instead of the Christ?) However, if the above remark is indeed from the Rabbi back in the 18th century in viewing Russia as a prominent candidate even then, then, this is really interesting.
For a leader from Russia to fit the bill, there are certain prerequisites, biblically, for one to meet of which are as follows. The candidate for Gog must:
1. Side with this confederacy of nations that surrounds and hates Israel (Ezekiel 38:5-6) –
Persia (Iran) , Ethiopia / Cush (Republic of Sudan, not to be confused with Republic of South Sudan), Put / Lybia (Lybia and or Algeria and Morocco), Togarmah (Central Turkey / Possibly Armenia), Gomer (Southeastern Turkey / Some suggests Eastern Europe – this post, for now, shall not discuss the identities of nations listed in Ezekiel 38) .
2. Not appreciate Israel (vv 5-6) – to side with the nations that traditionally hate Israel would indicate that the candidate also detests Israel or at least will be made to detest Israel.
3. Be a leader or a guard (v 7) over the alliance of the multitude (v 6, v 9, vv 15-16) – to be so, the candidate must impose strength, reputation, matching armoury and forces.
4. Be coming from the northern direction (v 6, v 15)
5. See and seek worthwhile treasures in Israel to plunder (vv 12-13)
We’ve seen how the Northern Axis comprising some of the key nations listed in Ezekiel 38 have emerged with Russia in the centre. Currently, Russia doesn’t appreciate Israel and is capable to lead a group of nations in mass invasion. Russia, of course, is located north to Israel. We also saw why Israeli gas reserve (and recent oil field discovery) puts Russia at unease. Thus, we could say, a leader of or from Russia, till this date, remains one of prominent candidates for Gog for now.
Of course the other prerequisite to be met by Israel other than she being a revived nation (Ezek 38:8, 12) is that:
6. A certain level of peace must have been placed in Israel prior to the invasion (v 11, v 14)
“READY, SET, ‘DEUS EX FURORE*’!”
Let’s conclude by reflecting Ezekiel 38-39.
The moment the confederacy of nations entered Jacob’s gate, a great earthquake hit. (Ezek 38:19) And then, so did fear and confusion among the nations who marched towards Jacob and they started to slay each other. (v 21) Pestilence, blood, flooding rain, great hailstones, fire and brimstone in a package then followed. (v 22) Nesi Rosh, of course, was stripped of his armour (Ezek 39:3) and fell (v 4) just like the others.
What we do know, for now, is when the confederacy of nations (and questions on identity of Gog put aside) boldly attacks Israel, we shall see the real, divine, and glorious ‘Deus ex machina’ in action, before our eyes, for Israel and for God’s glory. (Ezekiel 38:23; 39:6-7, 21-22, 27-28)
Best part is that unlike other man-made, far-fetched, kitschy Deus ex machina plots we saw in plays, what our God is going to do is neither illogical nor baseless.
After all, He has saved Israel countless times for His sake, and it’s only logical, then, to think that He shall continue to do so for more.
* meaning fury or rage in Latin. Thus, it means God out of anger.
Ezekiel 38:18 in Vulgate, in fact, notes this:
et erit in die illa in die adventus Gog super terram Israhel ait Dominus Deus ascendet indignatio mea in furore meo
“And it will come to pass at the same time, when Gog comes against the land of Israel,” says the Lord God, “that My fury will show in My face.