World marvelled at what had likely happened to Sodom and Gomorrah literally taking place before our eyes. Meteor incident over Chelyabinsk region in central Russia, thus, is continuing to instigate the media. Similar followed-up incidents, with only difference being the scale of impact and no injuries reported from these fireballs in the sky, in Cuba and in San Francisco as well as the asteroid named 2012 DA 14 narrowly missing Earth on the same day as the meteor incident took place in Russia are fuelling it further.
Perhaps it’s already in our subconsciousness that part of the “doomsday” indeed occur with meteor strikes or asteroids hitting Earth.
Is such view, however, biblically also sound?
Let us examine.
[Isaiah 34:4] All the host of heaven shall be dissolved, and the heavens shall be rolled up like a scroll; all their host shall fall down as the leaf falls from the vine, and as fruit falling from a fig tree.
This passage is mirrored in Revelation 6:13-14 of which I shall expand below.
[Ezekiel 38:22] And I will bring him to judgement with pestilence and bloodshed; I will rain down on him, on his troops, and on the many peoples who are with him, flooding rain, great hailstones, fire, and brimstone.
It’s noteworthy to see how hailstones are also associated with the fire as means of judgement as noted by Exodus 9:23-24, Psalm 18:12, 105:32 and Isaiah 30:30.
Now, Ezekiel’s above account shall, as means of God’s fury, happen when the Gog and his allies come against the land of Israel. (38:18-21)
A few years ago, I wrote a post on how Israeli gas find is indeed part of biblical prophecy and this will set geopolitical base for triggering Ezekiel 38-39.
Learn more: Revealed Glimpses of Leviathan, Israel’s Gas Exports and the Basis for Battle of Gog and Magog
UPDATE: In conjunction with the above, you may wish to read
Why Russia Will Invade Israel
29. “Immediately after the tribulation of those days the sun will be darkened, and the moon will not give its light; the stars will fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens will be shaken.
30. Then the sign of the Son of Man will appear in heaven, and then all the tribes of the earth will mourn, and they will see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.
Now, not only the stars will fall down from the sky, but the powers of the heavens will also be shaken, which is confirmed in Luke 21.
25. “And there will be signs in the sun, in the moon, and in the stars; and on the earth distress of nations, with perplexity, the sea and the waves roaring;
26. men’s hearts failing them from fear and the expectation of those things which are coming on the earth, for the powers of the heavens will be shaken.
It’s important not to confine the above as only something symbolic in regards to the destruction of Jews to which Daniel 8:10 is ascribed to as some commentators may have done. The above will be apparent, as it is being done, in the cosmos.
12. I looked when He opened the sixth seal, and behold, there was a great earthquake; and the sun became black as sackcloth of hair, and the moon became like blood.
13. And the stars of heaven fell to the earth, as a fig tree drops its late figs when it is shaken by a mighty wind.
14. Then the sky receded as a scroll when it is rolled up, and every mountain and island was moved out of its place.
15. And the kings of the earth, the great men, the rich men, the commanders, the mighty men, every slave and every free man, hid themselves in the caves and in the rocks of the mountains,
16. and said to the mountains and rocks, “Fall on us and hide us from the face of Him who sits on the throne and from the wrath of the Lamb!
17. For the great day of His wrath has come, and who is able to stand?”
What John saw above, after the sixth seal being opened, is indeed mirroring what Isaiah saw. Whether the above will happen by so called Planet X / Nibiru encounter, we do not know, but if, and only if, such indeed exists so as to cause the catastrophic encounter, then that could be one plausible way of predicting the above cosmic disturbances and anomalies as the supposed gigantic planetary object may bring in asteroid and meteoroid belt (The passage says stars of heaven fell to earth) that it carries into the Earth as it narrowly misses the collision and slips it by. As it does so, it could then explain how the sky could, as if it were, be scrolled up.
When that of Revelation 6:13-14 takes place, what also happens is that the mountains, hills and islands will be moved (or melt away) (as there will be a great quake). Similar account is noted throughout the Bible.
(Nahum 1:5; Joel 2:10; Micah 1:4; Isaiah13:13, 24:40; Jeremiah 4:24; Ezekiel 38:20; 2 Samuel 22:8; Psalms 18:7, 46:6, 97:5)
We, then, have more “cometary/cosmic” impacts falling onto the earth with the blowing of trumpets at the seventh seal. (Revelation 8:1-6)
7. The first angel sounded: And hail and fire followed, mingled with blood, and they were thrown to the earth. And a third of the trees were burned up, and all green grass was burned up.
8. Then the second angel sounded: And something like a great mountain burning with fire was thrown into the sea, and a third of the sea became blood.
9. And a third of the living creatures in the sea died, and a third of the ships were destroyed.
10. Then the third angel sounded: And a great star fell from heaven, burning like a torch, and it fell on a third of the rivers and on the springs of water.
11. The name of the star is Wormwood. A third of the waters became wormwood, and many men died from the water, because it was made bitter.
1. Then the fifth angel sounded: and I saw a star fallen from heaven to the earth. To him was given the key to the bottomless pit.
2. And he opened the bottomless pit, and smoke arose out of the pit like the smoke of a great furnace. So the sun and the air were darkened because of the smoke of the pit.
Whether the above passages are to be literally taken (i.e. physical phenomena) or to be symbolically taken (i.e. spiritual phenomena), there still is no doubt that the either of the interpretation is still of the severe calamity that the mankind will never witness again.
Now in chapter 9 of the Book of Revelation, it mentions “smoke of a great furnace”, and if we are to take this literally as taken by Messianic Jewish archaeologist and geologist Dr Jeffrey Goodman, then this verse could be liken to Genesis 19:28 which supports that it was a cometary bombardment that God employed to destruct Sodom and Gomorrah. For the “smoke of a furnace” mentioned in Genesis could be “rising smouldering cloud that appeared after the explosive cometary impact”. Smoke arising from such impact, then, can darken the sun and the air.
You may also wish to check out the following posts:
Again, no doubt, that these phenomena serve for no other than the signs indicating Christ’s return, as it is recorded, is imminent. And it is perfectly understandable non-believers speculating and panicking at such signs. This ignorance itself, as I see, is a catastrophic calamity being realised to them, for they didn’t want to accept the Truth and hence they do not know what all these signs before the due judgement signify.
Why is it, then, there are still believers who equally marvel and fear at such? It surely is another mystery.
Author’s note: There was a devastating meteor strikes in northern Iran on or around July 30, 2015.
And a day after, a record breaking heat wave struck in Iran – city of Bandar Mahshahr atop the Persian Gulf reaching 164℉ (73℃).
Apparently, Iranians have regarded the meteor strikes as a sign of soon arrival of Islamic Messiah, known as Mahdi. Read more here.
In regards to Mahdi, it was discussed on my earlier post:
Prophecy on Egyptian Revolt: Rise of Islam, Encirclement of Israel and Impulse Towards Psalm 83